The Novgorod Campaign
Principality of Novgorod
The city of Novgorod was founded sometime before 859 AD and served as the capital of the Russian principalities until 882 AD. Novgorod remains a powerful trade center within the principalities and was often assigned to one of the eldest son of the Grand Prince of Kiev until 1136 AD. In 1136 AD, the assembly of Novgorod expelled Prince Vsevolod Mstislavich and began to function as a republic. The assembly began to appoint the Princes and Archbishops of Novgorod, becoming more and more powerful. Most of the Princes were invited from the southern Russian principalities and served at the whim of the people. The Archbishops were traditionally drawn from the monastery at Khutyn on the outskirts of Novgorod. As the power of the assembly grew, so did the power of the Mayor, who was responsible for the court system, taxation, and calling the assembly to vote.
Persons of Interest
Novgorod – Capital
Belo Ozero (recently acquired from Rostov)
Map of the Grand Principality of Novgorod